Wednesday 2 December 2009

1. The Man Who Saved Christmas (2002)



Director: Sturlar Gunnarsson
Written by: Joe Maurer, Debra Frank, Steve L. Hayes
Starring: Jason Alexander, Kelly Rowan, Ari Cohen, Ed Asner
A toymaker reluctantly converts his factory to produce items for the military during the first world war and unwittingly becomes the face of a government initiative to cancel christmas.

So I kicked off the challenge last night by watching this made-for-TV movie, chosen because it had the highest rating on IMDb of any of the five 'Christmas' films I had on my Sky+ box.

I managed to get about 16 minutes in before checking the time and trying to work out how much longer I had left. It's not a bad film per se, just a dull, overly-sentimental one. Alexander is a resonably engaging lead, but the bottom line is that everyone involved was just there for the pay check. That said, even my frosty heart was warmed when the MIA soldier unsurprisingly returned at the end. It meant the film was over.

2/5

http://www.justgiving.com/dansfestivefifty

No comments: